NB Please allow the blog to load as it includes the youtube links and worksheet links. Thank you :)

Friday 25 October 2013

I don't like Mondays - Boomtown Rats

I used this song to introduce the idea of Urban Legends - stories which may or may not be true. The legend behind this one is that Bob Geldof wrote it after he heard about a shooting at a school in America. You could also use it to introduce the idea of weapon control in school or others - you may need to be carefula bout using this song in certain sensitive areas of the world!  




I Don't Like Mondays – Boomtown Rats

1. The silicon chip inside her head
a. he always said she was as good as gold,
2. And nobody's gonna go to school today,
b. she's going to make them stay at home,
3. And daddy doesn't understand it,
c. gets switched to overload,
4. And he can see no reason,
d. Cos there are no reasons
What reason do you need to be shown

Tell me why,I don’t like Mondays
Tell me why,I don’t like Mondays
Tell me why,I don’t like Mondays
I want to shoot the whole day down


5. The Telex machine is kept so clean
e. father's world is rocked,
6. And Mother feels so shocked,
f. cos there are no reasons
7. And their thoughts turn to
g. as it types to a waiting world,
8. Sweet 16, ain't that peachy keen,
h. their own little girl
9. They can see no reasons,
i. no, it ain't so neat to admit defeat,
What reason do you need to be shown

Tell me why ...


10. And now the playing's stopped in the playground now,
j. she wants to play with her toys a while
11. And school's out early and soon we'll be learning
k. and the how's and why's
12. And then the bullhorn crackles,
l. cos there are no reasons
13. With the problems
m. and the captain tackles,
14. And he can see no reasons
n. and the lesson today is how to die,
What reason do you need to die

The silicon chip ...

Tell me why ... 

If you want more Urban myths and legends look at http://snopes.com/

Worksheet here

No comments:

Post a Comment